Monday, November 23, 2009

Bandung 080809

Now this is a test post, just to see how this links with Facebook. If it is too intrusive, I'm going to remove from FB.

The trip itself is Bandung, back on National Day. Never did bother to post the report. Did the usual tourist sights to Tangkuban Perahu, Ciater etc. More info after the jump.

P8090168

An intrepid day in Bandung.

Here I am in a 3x2m room in Hotel Patradissa, opposite the train station in Bandung. Did not expect too much from this 4 day break, after all, Bandung is another sprawling urban city. I initially intended to lounge around all 4 days, surfing the net etc. But then I forgot that this isn't Bali, and I don't have Wifi everywhere I turn. So I decided instead to write this short entry.

The AirAsia flight was delayed by a half hour; one of the few times this year that I experienced a delay. The Bandung airport itself was a short flight from Singapore. Took a cab (35,000 Rp) to the train station, where all the budget places are. Roamed all over the train station vicinity for about an hour before retracing back to this Patradissa, a nice enough place (95,000 Rp). Walked down to Jalan Braga, which was a disappointment, considering Lonely Planet's mention as a nightlife / bar stretch. Had dinner at the end of the street at one of the ubiquitous Nasi Padang stalls (9,000 Rp). Asked for directions to the Alun-alun (what the heck that is I don't know, no thanks to my lousy Malay). It looked like an open air concrete park, with people hanging around and playing neon toys that launched into the air before spinning down. I cut through the park and reached one of the shopping malls. Bought an Eiger t-shirt (79,000 Rp). Decided against buying shoes, cheap but I was trying to spend less. My extravagant buy was a second dinner of an A&W meal (39,000 Rp). Didn't like it, nasi padang was better. I navigated my way back to the hotel. Thats 257,000 Rp + 9,000 (for 2 Mizones and 2 Oreo packs) for day 1. Slightly less than 40 SGD. Good.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to grab the 8am Colt to Subang, and ask to be let off at Tangkuban Perahu. From there it's to Ciater hot springs.

Day 2

Morning was a 24,000 Rp Soto Ayam. Plus a 12,000 Rp Angkot to Tangkuban Perahu. Overpaid for a solo angkot to the top. 100, 000 Rp so that's (26,000 Rp for entrance fees, and a 74, 000 Rp) profit to him. Mizones x2 cost 6,000 Rp here. Fritters at 5,000 Rp. Toiletries and bread at 30, 000 Rp). Peron ticket at 1500 Rp. You need this to cut across the train station to the other side.

P8090135

Gunung Tangkuban Perahu is one touristy place. There must be a few hundred tourists, locals and foreign around the large crater. It deserves the crowd though. The spectacular crater is easily accessible by car. There is a very carnival feel to the place. Horse rides for children, street vendors hawking their wares and a permanent stretch of shops lined selling all sorts of souvenirs. After wandering around the circumference of the crater, made my way down. I had all day, so decided to talk a walk down to the main road. Took a tourist tram that ends halfway down at 2000 Rp. Along the way, stopped at Kawah Domas, an area with bubbling hot sulphurous pools. Stayed there for a bit, boiled eggs in the pool, got totally wet after being soaked in sulphurous water vapour.

From the foot of Tangkuban Perahu, I made my way by Angkot (30,000 Rp) to Ciater Hotsprings. Dropped just outside the resort, and stayed overnight at the (considerably cheaper) rooms there at 200,000 Rp.

Day 3

The Ciater Hotsprings is a well developed resort, not exactly what I was expecting. However since I was there at 8am (its 24hrs), there were very few other people. Walked from one end to the other. Cascading man made falls, picnic areas, other outdoor activities (water cycling cars, flying fox, horse rides). I just soaked myself underneath the hot water for 45 minutes. Lovely.

From there, made my way back all the way to Bandung. Dumped my stuff back at Hotel Patradissa (well it is cheap) before making my way to the infamous Jean Street in the afternoon. Also known as Jalan Cihampelas, I walked down the 2km or so stretch, marveling at the giant Rambo? Batman? Wtf? Larger than life figures perched over the jeans shop. Did not get anything, how could I, the tacky décor was too distracting.

Cihampelas Walk, the entrance of which was under construction at the time of writing, was accessed through a little nondescript nook that wound along a wooden ramp before opening into a gigantic promenade. Very much like a shopping centre on Orchard road → or better I daresay! Did a lap around the place. Had too much time so caught couple of shows at the classy cinema. Then took an after midnight stroll back to the hotel.

Early morning on Day4, made my way back home.

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, it doesn't seem to link to Facebook at all now. bah. =/

    ReplyDelete